Junior Achievement of Greater Hampton Roads impacts more then 9,000 students in over 400 classrooms. With the help of hundreds of volunteers, JA students develop the skills they need to experience the realities and opportunities of work and entrepreneurship in the 21st-century global marketplace.
Purpose: To inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy.
- Give opportunity for students to acquire skills in narrative essay writing
- Belief in the boundless potential of young people
- Commitment to the principles of market-based economics and entrepreneurship
- Passion for what we do and honesty, integrity, and excellence in how we do it
- Respect for the talents, creativity, perspectives, and backgrounds of all individuals
- Belief in the power of partnership and collaboration
- Conviction in the educational and motivational impact of relevant, hands-on learning
- Business/education partnerships that build bridges between the classroom and the workplace
- Positive attitudes toward work and contributing to a diverse society
- The desire in young people to stay in school and appreciate lifelong learning
History of JA
Junior Achievement was founded in 1919. Junior Achievement USA® is the nation's largest organization dedicated to giving young people the knowledge and skills they need to own their economic success, plan for their future, and make smart academic and economic choices.
Junior Achievement's programs—in the core content areas of work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy—ignite the spark in young people to experience and realize the opportunities and realities of work and life in the 21st century.
Junior Achievement of Greater Hampton Roads, Inc. was established in the Hampton Roads area in 1966. Volunteers from the community deliver our curriculum throughout Hampton Road's schools while sharing their experiences with students. These role models transform the key concepts of our lessons into a message that inspires and empowers students to believe in themselves, showing them they can make a difference in the world. During the 2012-2013 school year, our goal is for our volunteers to reach more then 10,000 local students!